Sunday, April 7, 2013

March Race #1- Awesome 80's 10K

March was my best month ever for races!  I've never done so many races in one month.  My husband thinks I've lost my mind.  Maybe I have...

March 2nd, 2013- Awesome 80's 10K
I was super excited for this race because I hoped there would be interesting costumes.  However, I was definitely not prepared for the "totally rad" costumes that people came up with.  I ran along side the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man, Michael Jackson, ET, Mario & Luigi, Ghostbusters, Marty McFly, Madonna, etc.  The Delorean even made an appearance!  It was like I was back in 1982.  I totally wish that I had been more cognitive in the 80's, but I was just a toddler when that decade ended.  The race was supposed to be on Fremont St., but at the last minute it was moved to a local park.  I admit, at first I was upset because I had plans to run the race in a costume down Fremont St. and then have an ice cold drink at one of the many bars there (I'm a night shift worker.  Drinking at 9am is normal for me).  Anyways, the park turned out to be great.  It was clean and beautiful.  Before the race started, all the racers made a Harlem Shake video...it was pretty cool although you can only see me for a brief second in the corner at the beginning.  Check it out here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gkwsQRSM64

The race had a 10K portion and a 5K portion.  Everyone started at once, but the 10K runners did 2 laps while the 5K runners only had to do one.  Most people only did the 5K so it was pretty lonely during the 10K.  The weather was beautiful although towards the end it did get a little hot and I wished I had worn a hat to keep the sun away.  The course was mostly flat and was just on pavement.  I thought my costume was "rad", but it didn't even compare to the creativity of the other runners.  I'll definitely be improving on that next time. My only complaint is that there was only one water station.  I wish there had been one more!
Before the Race
After the race with my bling!
Overall verdict- the medal was awesome and I loved the music and atmosphere.  I would definitely do it again next year.  It was my fastest 10K ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment